Mythmoot IV is over and done, and it was a blast. I heard a lot of good scholarship, met a lot of interesting people, bought some books, and was stalked by Tevildo, Prince of Cats. (Starsha tried to get photographic proof, but taking a picture of a black cat in the middle of the night is among the most difficult tasks in the visual arts.)
Things I have never done before:
- Pronounced “oidhche” (even if I didn’t do it right)
- Drawn up a tax code for Gondor
- Danced the Virginia Reel with a priest
- Sørina Higgins is so good at asking questions of panelists that I frequently find myself noting her questions rather than the answers.
- Verlyn Flieger is not only extraordinary at delivering the punch line to a lecture; she can even improvise them.
- Michael Drout can read an audience as well as the best stand-up comics.
I’ll have more detailed notes on some highlights coming up, though not a full “proceedings” like I did last year.